Saturday, July 10, 2010

Back to the Fast Lane


I'd argue that I was born in a pool, swimming from day one for my love of the sport is beyond measure. If I could do it all over again I'd have never stopped swimming. I was blessed with a mother who because of her personal experience of fear in a community pool, made sure her children were in lessons at a young age. This continued to weekends at the lake, skiing, wake boarding, parasailing, more swimming. I wish now I would have competed more when I was younger. Some of my most fond memories are surrounded by swimming, the smell of the chlorine, the sound of the water, then masses of people.

While living in Northern California, I helped with a youth swim team where my love was re-sparked, and so began my future as a Master Swimmer - as much as that makes me sound like a physically stellar swimmer, it's simply a classification of an age group. Being surrounded by like minded athletes I began swimming more and more, signing up for open water swims - my first, the Pier to Pier in Santa Cruz followed by what would become an epidemic -Alcatraz! I've since swum from Alcatraz three times and hope to make a return. My friends in the chlorine world have tried to talk me into Maui Channel Swim - we'll see.

For me there's something personal about swimming - it's you and the water. I've been fascinated for some time with the power of water both as an element (foe) and a training partner (friend). As much as I enjoy the weight room, I far prefer a workout in the pool. Long course, short course, open water it doesn't matter - it's having the ability to move gracefully through it; working every muscle, achieving greater than before distances that brings me happiness.

Adding to my circle, people like Rowdy Gaines, three-time gold medalist, Olympic Hall of Fame member, Masters great, coach, father...etc, coaching great, Paul Murphy of the Danville Masters Swim Club, or my 82 year old grandmother, I am continually reminded that swimming never leaves your soul - it's an incurable addiction to hit the lanes daily, watch out, I'll be back in the fast lane soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment