Friday, December 17, 2010

Pay It Forward


During this season of giving, let's give not because it's a holiday; let’s give because it's needed. There are countless people who are in need in one way or another. It may be food, money, gifts, toys or as simple as a smile! Too often we cannot look beyond ourselves to help others but expect to be helped when we're in need. Everyone has the ability to give. Stop thinking "What will it cost ME?" What does it cost you to smile at someone or hold the door? NOTHING!

I would extend to you the challenge of Paying It Forward - the idea is to act without the expectation of being paid back, but with the hope that the recipient pays the favor forward by helping someone else.

This became more present to me today when, as I often will, I went to the drive through at my local Starbucks. I ordered my usual, pulled up to the window, was given my total and handed the attendant my credit card - I asked her to put the car behind mine's drink on as well. She said "oh, do you know them?" I said "no, I just think it's fun to do sometimes -starts the morning out brighter." She said "well that's very nice."

I gathered my drink and left. As I drove to where I catch the bus, a car pulled up behind me. I exited my vehicle cautiously and the lady behind me at Starbucks was there. With tears in her eyes she told me she'd never had a stranger do something so selfless and nice. I said "Well have a great day." She went on to explain that lately because the holidays are very tough on her as her family life isn't "normal" she'd felt so sad and alone and truly didn't want to live any longer. She'd mentioned that she'd actually been contemplating suicide. I explained to her that there are no "normal families" and our happiness is all in what we want and create. I told her that she is a special and unique piece of this world's fabric and she'd leave it tattered if she left before her time. I believe as a Christian that everyone's story is written and I didn't believe hers was meant to end just yet. She asked if she could give me a hug- we did and with tears in our eyes we went on our separate ways.

I'm certainly not looking to be sainted, just to pass on that we all have this power - we all are very unaware of the people around us, most of whom "we know." Take a minute to extend something positive to someone else.

Have an amazing holiday. Remember to ALWAYS pay it forward.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment